Saturday, September 25, 2010

It Mocks Me

I am not the world's best gardener.  Not that I don't try, I do.  My thumb seems to be brown, not green.  It is only through the grace of God that flowers and the occasional tomato do arrive in my back yard; not by my hard work.

The other day I noticed a rather large weed growing out of our driveway and I remarked to my husband, "Hmm, look at the size of that weed growing up through the concrete."  That casual remark was designed to spur him to run into the garage and grab the RoundUp weed killer and be manly man and kill that weed.  He was busy and that's okay, too.

This morning, on my way to the car, I noticed that very large weed now had a lovely purple flower on it -- well, would you look at that!!  It's a Morning Glory -- growing right in my driveway.  Oh, by the way, I planted at least a hundred Morning Glory seeds throughout areas of my backyard along the fence and d'ya think any of those grew?  Nope, not a one arrived and let's face it...Morning Glories are the world's simplest flowers to grow next to a dandelion.  No, my Morning Glory was dropped by some flipping bird on its way over my house and this amazing flower is now flourishing in my driveway. I give up.  Oh crap on a crutch...


4 comments:

  1. Ah, the wonders of Nature. It is such a pretty flower and maybe it is a sign that you will be able to grow them next year. Just buy them already started in pots and then just plant it in your garden. It is so much easier than the seeds and the birds eating them all. Although I know they sell those little greenhouse kits to start your plants with seeds and the pots are covered up so that the birds cannot get to and eat the seeds.

    Yup, it is a pretty flower, I hope you get more blooms from the plant.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - I know - it's a pretty flower but it's growing in the middle of my concrete DRIVEWAY for pity's sake. ack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Sweetie.....at least it grew in the crack. I planted two packets and got nothing...nada...zilch! My garden grew bermuda grass where we had tried for 12 years to get bermuda to grow. Till it and plant squash and voila.......bermda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steppin... would u believe Devoted Spouse killed it and ANOTHER one sprouted from under the fence? Unbelievable. Of course neither place is where I planted. I have such a brown thumb...

    ReplyDelete